10 NEED to Know Tips for Moving During the Holidays
The holidays are a time filled with laughter and cheer, but also stress. It’s easy to think that making the decision to move during the holidays will only add to your stress, but it doesn’t have to. There are many ways you can still enjoy the holidays while also preparing for your new home.
The key to an easy holiday move is being organized and prepared to take on the big task of moving without compromising your holiday cheer.
Moving Your Belongings
- Pack ahead whenever possible, that way you don’t have to miss out on holiday festivities
- Pack what you need least first, there’s nothing worse than sifting through boxes to find wrapping paper
- Don’t pack away items you might need immediately before or after your move – especially when there is a threat of unexpected bad weather
- Don’t stress about unpacking if you move mid-holiday season – enjoy the holidays with your family and new friends
Holiday Vehicle Transport
- Ask your transport company about shipping a vehicle during the holidays, such as when the busiest time periods are, if days are taken off for specific holidays and what happens if there is bad weather
- Have a backup plan. If you’re shipping your vehicle, but have some holiday gatherings to attend, have a solid backup plan such as a vehicle rental or catching a ride with family or friends
Keep it Festive
- Put up minimal decorations that can easily be packed away when your moving date nears
- Schedule holiday moving announcement cards to give out your new address
- Consider dining out for the holidays. You might be surprised to learn that a lot of restaurants are open during major holidays so consider ordering your holiday dinner instead of making it
- Take the time to enjoy the season, from pumpkin pie to hot chocolate and holiday movies, don’t forget that the holiday season is about spending time with those you love!
If you’re moving, remember that a new adventure awaits and everything will work out just fine. Take the time to enjoy the process, even if it is a hectic one.